Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Funny You Should Ask...

So today, I ventured forth into the great beyond...the world outside of our home...a wonderful faraway land with treasures and sweets and bright lights. Okay, I went to Target. My son was doing such a good job and fell asleep in his stroller, so I thought..."maybe I'll run to Michael's too for a quick errand..." He was still doing so well, that I thought I would treat myself to a nice cold blended mocha from Starbuck's.

While I was sipping my grande mocha frappacino I noticed my son had awakened. But he was still doing so well I just thought I would feed him and then head home...as usual, my son had other plans. As I watched his red face contort and twist, I realized that he decided to "clean out his system." And boy did he clean it!!

Of course, this would have to be the day that I happened to NOT have an extra change of clothes for my baby boy. I left Starbuck's hurriedly and returned to Target to utilize their Koala Changing Station. Upon opening his current apparel, I realized that this was going to be a difficult and MESSY task. After going through my entire stash of baby wipes, I held my baby boy with one arm and pressed the paper towel dispenser with the other. With swift and careful moves, I sponged bathed Joaquin in the bathroom of Target...but remember, I still needed clothes.

With only a diapered baby in my arms (naked otherwise), I briskly made my way to the baby section answering questions from other mom's quickly and politely. "How old is he?" "three months..." "Do you need any help?" "no thank you..." I selected a five pack of onesies, pulled one out and again, with the agility of a seasoned pro, single handedly pulled the onesie over his head (I was starting to be pretty impressed with myself at this point)...then I noticed that my sponge bath was NOT done that well and there were still traces of, well, do you really need to know???

So, there I was, holding my baby boy...still being a total angel, mind you...being christened officially into the realm of motherhood. "Welcome to the club" I told myself as I made my way to the register to pay for the onesies I had just selected.

THE MORAL OF THE STORY: they teach us so much more than we can teach them. I love you, baby boy...thank you for being my favorite teacher!!

Above caption: Come on Mom, did you really have to tell that story??

No comments: