Sunday, January 27, 2008

What Day Is It Anyway??

Oh, that's right...it's Sunday. Exactly one week from the day that our little baby boy decided to begin his journey into this world. There are lots of details, but I'll get down to the nitty gritty.
I basically labored from 3:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. at church, Lowe's, Mcdonald's and then at home - mostly because I had no idea what the heck I was doing. By the time I got to the hospital, they said "you did all this at home?"...and "yeah, you're not going anywhere, you are going to have a baby tonight." This would be the first time my eyes popped out of my head.

Many things were a blur after that; save the epidural. Thank heaven! Dr. Tolleson was seriously sent from God as were my nurses Dahl and Sharon (a midwife from England who had the most delightful Mary Poppins accent). Once under the miracle elixer of pain medication, I was lucid enough to know that Green Bay lost to New York and that Rich and Dr. Chisolm were making bets as to whether JT would be born before or after midnight.

After a brief two hour nap (see notes on epidural/miracle elixer), it was time to push (about 12:30 p.m.). I asked Rich to put on my soothing iPod playlist called "Baby Love" which was choc full of Norah Jones, Sarah McLaughlin, Celine Dion, Phil Collins, Ben Harper and Jack Johnson. I mean after all, I'd like to come into the world to a mellow mix like that. Our boy had other plans.

The playlist went through one, two...three times and still no baby. The evil clock on the wall in front of me ticked and ticked through seconds, minutes...hours...and the iPod went into shuffle mode. Dr. Chisolm cheerfully asked "Got any Ozzy in there?" I laughed a little, but mostly I was just worried about my eyes popping out of my head from all the pushing and wondering why Rich hadn't passed out yet.

Finally after two and a half hours and to the rockin' sounds of Aerosmith's "Crazy," our baby boy reared his beautiful little head, then one shoulder, then the other, then "pop" he was out! They wiped him down and laid him on my chest and he was just the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. Rich was elated! He just kept saying "oh my gosh, oh my gosh."

STATS:
born: 1-21-2008
time: 2:23 a.m.
weight: 10 lbs. 2 oz.
lenght: 22.5 inches

I basically birthed a Christmas Turkey! Here's a brief look at his six days with us. We are glad that when God asked which little angel would like to meet his parents that day, that JWT fluffed his little wings and lifted one in the air and said "me!" Enjoy the pics and know that we are so grateful to have friends and family like you who have encouraged and supported us through this journey.

It's a whole new ball game. Love, Rich, Priscilla and baby love.

Getting cleaned up by the nurses. Everyone was shocked that I weighed 10 lbs., especially Mommy. I think Daddy was proud.My eyes didn't pop out of my head, but my face took a beating. That's okay, no one was looking at me anyway because there was such a cute guy to look at!Me and mom share a tender moment.

4 comments:

Jacob said...

Congratulations!!!!! a 10 pounder!!!! dude, no wonder why it took so long!!! Rich you the man bro!!!....I mean great job priscilla!!! :) GOd Bless you both and Joaquin

Anonymous said...

I am not biased, but he really is the cutest thing in the world! I don't know how the Pacheco's have "perfectly round head" babies...Selah Bea can't wait to marry Joaquin in 30 years! This has been such a fun process to watch: the love you and Rich share, the internal growth during the pregnancy process, and the laughs (and tears?) we've shared. Can't wait for the future...Love to you....Kelly and Brian

Joe said...

Rich and Priscilla, we are so happy for you. Baby Joaquin is a lucky kiddo to have parents like you.

Megan O. said...

So beautiful (baby and mommy!). Congratulations!!! Can't wait to meet him and bring you guys a meal whenever you feel up to it.